Permissions are a combination of the events that can be performed and the resources upon which they can be used. Events include activities such as Create, Copy, Change, Extend, Change Log, User Interface etc. All Roles have a default set of Permissions associated with them. These Permissions govern the user‘s ability to conduct certain actions in MDO such as Meta Data configurations, Workflow configurations, etc.
MDO enables permissions to be setup at three different levels.
1. Security Permissions
Security permissions define the access of various events against each role. Events are the actions that can be performed by the end-user such as creating a customer record or deleting a customer record.
For example: An ‘Leave Officer’ can have access to Create/Change/Delete while a ‘Manager’ can only Approve/Reject a request. In this case, the ‘Leave Officer’ will have the Create, Change & Delete events assigned to their role while ‘Manager’ will have Approve & Reject permissions.
There are approximately seventy-five events in MDO which can be assigned to roles to give permission to perform different actions.
Below are the steps to set up permissions in MDO:
- Click on the Settings icon at the top right corner on the Home page.
- Click on Modules from the left menu bar > Select the module for which role permissions need to be setup.
- Click on the Security tab > Search for the role.
- Select ‘+’ to expand the role. The complete list of events available will appear.
- Click on Assign next to the event permissions to be assigned for the role.
- The Assign button changes from Assign to Un-Assign confirming the permission setup for that role.
Below is the list of events along with their description and event ID:
|2||Save And Complete|
|6||Save And Draft|
|12||List View Edit|
|35||User Registration URL|
|36||Edit & Reprocess|
|37||Save and Add|
|38||Save and Copy|
|46||Save and Mail|
|48||Create Reference Object|
|49||Save and Print|
|52||Add Attribute Values|
|56||Save Print and Add|
2. Layout Permissions
Layout permissions define the access to forms against various events corresponding to each role. Below are the steps to assign events to different roles in the layout.
- Navigate to Settings > Modules and select the module for which the permissions need to be assigned to the layout.
- Click on the Layouts tab.
- Click on Edit in front of the Layout name to assign the permissions.
- Layout view will appear. Click on Submit.
- The Assign Roles and Events box will appear. Search for the role.
- Check the event(s) which need to be assigned to that role. This will define what actions that role can perform in this layout/form.
Note: Permissions for the layout can be assigned to multiple roles simultaneously.
Below is the list of events/ permissions that can be assigned to a layout.
|Event ID||Event name|
|36||Edit & Reprocess|
3. Permission Profile
Permission profile can be set up to assign different permissions to different roles. The permission profile can be used to set profiles based on data inputs and previously saved records.
e.g. A permission profile can be setup for a plant manager to view/create/change data of only particular plants that are assigned to him.
In order to set up a permission profile, follow these steps:
- Navigate to Settings > Modules and select the relevant module
- Click on the Business Rules > Permission Profile tab.
- Click on Add New.
- Select the permission field and click on Save.
- Expand the row to create permission values.
- Select parent field values and click on Save.